Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?
In reply to teknos, May 17, 2013

teknos wrote:

hey all, thought i would get some opinions.

im a hobbyist photog, i do alot of travel photography/street portraits, i am looking at buying another lens for portraits for the d800, either the 135mm or 85m 1.4g. which would you prefer and why? im considering buying the 135 then saving abit and getting the cheaper 85mm 1.8g.

is the 1.4g really worth the extra coin?

other lenses i already have,- samyang 14mm, sigma 35mm nikon 50mm 1.4d

Personally, I'd get the Nikon 85 f/1.4G over any of them. In fact, that's what I've done. I think 85mm is the definative portrait length because it allows the freedom to move around a bit yet still has that pretty compression. It's has a bit of a magical rendition where the 85 f/1.8 is more clinical.

The 135 is a good length too, but I find it way to limiting for everyday use in the studio or out. If you're shooting mostly pure headshots or outside, it's fine. When I need that, I move all the way to 150mm or 300mm quite honestly.

I may one day buy another 135mm lens even though I tend not to use the ones I've owned over the years. I'll probably wait though for Nikon to upgrade the old 135 f/2 that exists today.

Good luck and have fun.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow