On putting money into 4:3 gear ...

Started May 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 769Gear list
Like?
Re: Adding another 4 cents to the discussion ...
In reply to Stacey_K, May 17, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

alatchin wrote:

People here seem to think Olympus will stop supporting a huge investment in its optics, and do what? Try again? I think it more likely there is a huge amount of pressure to make those lenses work.

That is speculation at best and they already quit supporting this lens mount. They haven't sold any camera that uses them, other than the E5, for years. And for all we know these are just left over stock that didn't sell. They have lost any market share 4/3 ever had.

What you have written above is your assumptions, they are no better than my speculation.

No stores Pro stores in Atlanta have any 4/3 gear in stock. Olympus recouped the investment in most of these 4/3 optics long ago and they probably realized shortly after the release (and slow sales) the hyper expensive F2 optics were a bad marketing strategy and have written off that R&D. I'm sure they lost money on the 300mm f2.8 as I doubt many of those were ever sold either.

Assumptions. We have no idea how many lenses were sold at the peak of the 43rds format. Those lenses are not currently in the trash. A pivotal body will convince users of those lenses to buy in. Just a quick note, there are 1200 approx E-3 member in flickr, and 750 E-5, and about 750 E-30 users. The E-5 sold as well as the E-30 for all we know. While the E-P1 has 1400 members for it's flickr page... Considering the E-P1 was a landmark camera that apparently sold very well, the E-5 at it's pricepoint appears to have a reasonable following.

Clearly they have focused on mirror less and yes it's possible they will incorporate some "legacy" support for the 4/3 optics but I myself doubt there is "a huge amount of pressure" (from who? the tiny market share that bought/still have 4/3 optics or the people who are buying up used ones?) nor is this a big priority for them right now. It's actually in their best financial interest to not have good support for these older lenses and force people to rebuy lenses as m4/3 versions.

You are thinking like a consumer imagining what it would be like to make these decisions. The "tiny" market share you speak of has been so important to appease that within 24 hours of rumor spreading about them NOT producing DSLRs they released an official statement to the contrary. If the numbers were so small, and the market so insignificant they would have just let it peter out.

I still have the 4/3 HQ lenses I bought and hope they do make a reasonably priced camera that supports them but I personally would not start buying lenses in this mount on the speculation of what Olympus might or might not decide to do. YMMV

But your assumptions as to the future of the 43rds bodies are just that, assumptions. Right now, anyone who buys an E-30, E-3 or even an E-5 plus some of the best optics around for firesale prices would actually be very well served, your fears aside.

I have actually bough a few 43rds lenses recently because of the video improvements by companies like black magic (the pocket cam for example). The superb build and optical qualities (low CA high sharpenss wide open etc) of the HG and SHG lines are perfectly matched for video, and as a professional who clearly sees a shift to video and a serious income in that market, I am getting excellent prices on products that certainly do have a future no matter what comes down the pipeline.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
+1New
skeys MOD
Say,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow