Olympus OM-D E-M5 Vs. Sony NEX-6 (or other APS-C mirrorless)

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
jtan163
Senior MemberPosts: 1,270Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Vs. Sony NEX-6 (or other APS-C mirrorless)
In reply to Pierrrrrrre, May 17, 2013

Pierrrrrrre wrote:

Hi everyone!

After using a DSLR for more than 5 years (and loving the optical viewfinder), I want to switch to a smaller camera, because I realized I was missing a lot of opportunities of shooting, simply because I was leaving my camera at home most of the time...

So, after reading a lot about these systems, and trying out the OM-D and the NEX-6 a few days ago, I would like to ask for your opinion about it.

First, my current point of view on both cameras:

Olympus OM-D
+ Excellent image quality, even in Jpeg
+ Stabilisation (5 axes !) included in the camera body
+ Good quantity of Four Third lenses (Panasonic, Olympus, Sigma...)
+ Very nice retro design
+ Heavy customization possible (looks like you can customize almost all the buttons!)
- Four Third sensor = smaller than an APS-C = less light = issues in low light (?)
- Body is a bit too small, and buttons as well...
- The kit lens (12-50mm) looks quite big compared to the 16-50 of the Sony NEX-6
Sony NEX-6
+ APS-C sensor, therefore better image quality than a Four Third sensor (?)
+ With its kit lens (16-50mm), it's really small and light!
+ The elecontric viewfinder resolution is pretty amazing
+ Hybrid AF system: The best of both Worlds?
+ WiFi included, can be useful
- The picture quality doesn't look that amazing for a camera "with a Reflex sensor"
- No body stabilisation

I used the very useful DPReview comparison widget to check the quality of both cameras in same situation, and I am very impressed by the image quality of the Olympus OM-D; Although it has a smaller sensor, it seems more capable in terms of sharpness, contrast (in Jpeg) and overall details, even in high ISO.

In comparison, the Sony NEX-6 Jpeg pictures look too smooth.

I plan to shoot street views, especially at night or in low light conditions, and I always thought my previous camera, a DSLR (Nikon D7000 with the 24mm f2.8D), delivered images that lacked sharpness.

Did you try both of them? What did you like/not like in them? What would you recommend, and why, or would you recommend another one, and why?

Thanks for your feedback!

P.S.: Should I also post this in the Sony NEX section of this forum?

You can upgrade the VF on the EM5 by buying the VF4. Then it will by all accounts be quite similar to the NEX EVF.

Or you could go the E-P5 and put the VF4 on that.
The E-P5 has a couple of nice features (higher shutter speed, wifi, higher res touchscreen, remote control and GPS from smartphone, image upload via smart phone, focus peaking, intervalometer) and it will be even smaller by about %20-25 than the EM5 if you take the VF4 off.

Depending on whether you value weather sealing, a permanent EVF and the option to use the  HLD-6 grip, I'd consider the E-P5 instead of the EM-5.

jtan163's gear list:jtan163's gear list
Olympus C-740 UZ Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow