If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,472Gear list
Like?
Re: If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...
In reply to Wei Kelun, May 17, 2013

Wei Kelun wrote:

If you owned a 7D and then a 5D Mark III...I'd really love to hear your experiences. I know the basics, of course, that the 5Diii is full-frame, better in low light, more AF points, and has less noise; I know the 7D has better reach and a snappier (but more complicated) AF system that makes it great for action.

But I'm interested in hearing your personal observations and experiences if you owned a 7D and then added a 5Diii. Did one camera or the other suddenly become a backup? Or do you still take each one out for specific purposes? When you hold each camera, what is the first thing that comes to mind? What's the most meaningful difference to your work between the cameras? Do you see them as complimentary, or evolutionary?

Thanks.

Went from the 7D to the 5D3 shortly after the 5D3's release, and sold the 7D a short time later.  Actually, the 5D3's AF system is better than the 7D's in every way.  Not only more AF points, but also faster and more accurate focusing.  The number of misfocused shots I get with the 5D3 is significantly lower than I did with the 7D, particularly when I'm shooting at wide apertures.

The only things I miss from the 7D are its higher density sensor (giving it slightly more reach in focal length limited situations--e.g., wildlife shooting) and slightly faster burst speed.  Otherwise, IMO, the 5D3 is a better camera in every respect.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow