On putting money into 4:3 gear ...

Started May 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,265Gear list
Like?
Re: On target!
In reply to Great Bustard, May 17, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

Thank you for your post, which *exactly* what I'm talking about!  I don't deny that better equipment will result in higher IQ -- I think most understand that.

I don't think some do. Many here reply by saying "Well if you can't get the shot with an E system camera, they need to take some photography classes" type things. Or "An F2 zoom solves any problem you might run across".

What I'm asking is how often the IQ differential results in a less successful photo.  That is, a photo that placed lower in a photo competition than it otherwise would have, a photo that sold for less than it otherwise would have, a photo that did sell that otherwise would have, etc.

Now, for a fact, there are times when it will often be so -- a fine art exhibition, for example.  But how often do you think the IQ differential between modern systems, and even many not-so-modern systems, harms the success of a photo as "success" is defined above?

Well I don't sell my images nor do I put them in competitions. I shoot for my own enjoyment and I doubt I would have this print on my wall if it had been either blurry or filled with noise. For a "working pro", I can't say if using older gear would affect their bottom line or not. It's very likely it wouldn't.

That said, I know I see things wrong with my prints that even when I point them out, the average person doesn't see. Does that mean they don't exist or that I shouldn't concern myself with those faults? If I was shooting to please others like a commercial photographer is, the answer would be different than if I am shooting to please myself.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
+1New
skeys MOD
Say,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow