portable external HD vs desktop HD for backup

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
lovingtheview
Contributing MemberPosts: 734
Like?
Re: USB3 connector
In reply to Roland Wooster, May 17, 2013

Roland Wooster wrote:

I think you have no reason to worry about the cable, it appears to be a totally standard Micro-B USB3 connector on the drive. You can get Male-A to Male-Micro-B cables anywhere. In fact, you can use the older Male-A to Male-Micro-B USB2 cable with the drive too - although you'll only get USB2 speeds by doing so.

The performance of the drive will be pretty poor on USB2, you'll be limited by the USB2 bus speed, this provides only 33MB/s. The drive itself is probably capable of something in the 80-130MB/s range (depending on actual drive used inside, but given the capacity it's probably closer to the higher end of this range). On a USB3 connection, with a USB3 cable, you'll get the full bandwidth and be limited only by the magnetic media speed itself.

Roland.

-- hide signature --

Roland,

Thanks for the correction and details.  I think I'm suffering from synapse failure or neurotransmitter deficit.  I recall having read that the connector was proprietary when I was doing my research before buying the Toshiba portable.  In addition, I [strangely enough] have never run across a description and image of the range of USB connector configurations, even though I read about their use every day, and despite the fact that I spent three decades in the audio business before retirement.

The Mini B and Micro B 3.0's look so delicate, but I guess pin-misalignment problems are adequately designed against.

Since my data storeage needs are for the most part loads of amateur images, the record and retrieval speeds are not so critical.   Nevertheless, when I look at these older monster external drives on my shelf and then look at this miraculous little portable, it makes me want to replace the old machines, since they are between one and seven years old.  The reliability of the older ones must certainly be questionable if indeed operation hours and shelf life are any predictors of reliability.

I am enjoying looking at your images.  Many are excellent, and many remind me of my own sense of aesthetics in imaging.

Best,

Lovingtheview

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow