On putting money into 4:3 gear ...

Started May 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,664
Like?
Re: It will not ..
In reply to Great Bustard, May 17, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

But, for sure, I've seen more than my fair of photos that looked great on the back of an LCD but were severely lacking on the computer monitor.  However, my question is if differences in IQ between modern systems is such that this is an issue.  For sure, it may be for cell phones and compacts depending on the scene, but what about from mirrorless to FF DSLRs?  How often does the IQ differential between systems really have an impact on the success of a photo?

It depends on how "success of a photo" is defined. This involves not only the opinion of the photographer, but also of the viewer (and in the case of professional work, the client). Many people will like an image based purely on the "eye candy" factor (just look at the results of the DPR challenges), in which case, the majority of viewers either aren't concerned with IQ, or as is often the case, unaware of how better IQ might enhance their enjoyment of the photo. Basically,most people don't recognize top quality IQ on a concsious level anyway.

In my case, I would say that with current 4/3 or m4/3 equipment such as the E5, OMD, EP5 or the lastest Panasonics, there would be no demonstrable advantage in IQ if I were to use FF, for the current way my photos are being displayed and used. They are used priimarily for web or display through 52" HDTV (viewed usually from a distance of at least 10 feet.) No one is pixel peeping them that I know of! LOL However, my client recognizes the better IQ of my photos compared to what people submit to them taken not only with cell phones, but also what is submitted to them by a couple of people who regularly bring their APS-C dslrs with them and take photos of performances.

There is pro who comes in to shoot certain acts, using Nikon D7000s. His photos are clearner, with better DR, and functionally he doesn't have some of the AF issues I have with my E520. But no one has yet to tell me that his photos are "better" than mine.

Were I using an OMD or E5, I have no doubt there would be no demonstrable difference between the IQ of his photos vs mine as they are currently displayed, as far as the majority of people are concerned.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
+1New
skeys MOD
Say,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow