EP5 or OMD EM5 (Ignoring Price) For Beginner?

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rob Donchez
Regular MemberPosts: 186
Like?
EP5 or OMD EM5 (Ignoring Price) For Beginner?
May 17, 2013

All:

I have been agonizing over my camera choice for months now and find it so hard to make a decision.  I have considered Olympus camera from the beginning but also considered the Fuji XE-1.  I am a little worried the Fuji XE-1 is too much camera for a beginner and concerned about the lack of touch screen, face detection, etc.  I will be sharing the camera with my wife so the ability to have automatic settings available is important.

With that said, I like the m43 system and the olympus cameras in particular.  The IBIS sounds fantastic and it seems like a system I could really grown into and learn with.  However, I am torn between the EP5 and the OMD EM5.  It seems the EP5 has some genuinely nice improvements with the shutter speed.  I also likely the WIFI ability - particularly that my wife could upload and share photos while on vacation, etc. without using a computer.  However, I also like the weathersealing and integrated viewfinder of the EM5.  I am not opposed to the external VF viewfinder - in fact I like that it may be higher quality - but also realize this is another accessory to carry around.  Although with the OMD I would always have to have a flash as well.  If I got the EP5 I would likely get the kit with the VF4 and 17mm lens.  If I got the OMD I would get the kid with the 12-50mm lens.

Based upon the foregoing, I am looking for some honest advice as to which camera may be better to go with.  I realize the OMD may be soon replaced but I cannot wait until that time as I am purchasing the camera before an upcoming vacation.  I also realize that some say that the EP5 is overpriced - however, I would like to keep the discussion strictly to the merits of each camera.  Any advice is appreciated - I have been so indecisive about this.  Thanks.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow