Amazed at difference because of a uv filter..(in a bad way)

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rab G
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
Amazed at difference because of a uv filter..(in a bad way)
May 17, 2013

Hi All

I have an A37 I am pleased with camera and now the better weather has started I hope to get out and about that and the simple fact that other commitments have held me back up till now.

I have the standard 18-55 mm kit lens and also a Tamron AF70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro I got this lens for a bargain price of £89.99 from Jessops in the UK before they closed down.

Now like a lot of people I bought a uv filter (cheap one) mainly to protect the front lens element I have not used the lens much just a few test pics at various focal lengths etc and it's a little soft at full zoom (will check that without the filter now) but as long as you don't print to large it's ok and viewing on monitor/tv they are also ok.

Anyway messing about this morning took a picture of a reed my wife has in a display in a vase using the close focus setting well have a look at the result first picture reed with filter on.

Reed uv filter on 300mm

Next a close crop from that.

Close crop uv filter on

Next uv filter off

Reed uv filter off 300mm

Next a close crop from that image.

Close crop NO filter

Like I said I was amazed at the difference my kit lens has a Hoya uv filter and I have no problems with that I think the Tamron will be getting one as well.

Took a few more shots with filter on just to make sure it wasn't a mistake on my part with the same result.

So what do you think?

Sony SLT-A37
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow