Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
BassFisher
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
Re: So... I'm all but convinced that I'm going D800
In reply to Maciej Freudenheim, May 17, 2013

Maciej Freudenheim wrote:

Leon Wittwer wrote:

If this is the lens I think it is, the outer element projects out so you can't use conventional filters.  I have a friend who would have got one but he likes polarizers.

That's correct, though polarizing filters don't play nicely with focal lengths like 14mm anyway. You get some parts of the sky much darker than the others etc.

Unless you want to eliminate reflections from the water/glass, with DR of the D800(E) you can pretty much simulate the effect of polarizing filter in PP.

Anyway, my experience is that I mostly prefer 14-24 w/o filters than 16-35 with a filter.

-- hide signature --

Maciej Freudenheim
http://pix.diabel.pl/

Can't agree more with this. I had a lovely copy of Sigma 10-20 with my D200 and then moved to D700 and purchased 14-24 What a lens, WOW. have the D800E now (kept my D700) and with this it is now WOW WOW. Great up close and for full landscapes and architecture. No problem with the front element and you can do anything you want to in post processing these day with LR, CS6, Topaz or OnOne software. However if you are concerned and want a filter then 16-35 F4 is available as a cheaper option too. Seriously I take the 14-24n everywhere and it's wider than the 10-20 was on DX.

Whatever you choose you will LOVE the D800.

-- hide signature --

BillD
Sydney, Australia
Time is the only thing I don't have enough of.

BassFisher's gear list:BassFisher's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow