Got my RX-100 today

Started May 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sulis2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041
Like?
Re: Got my RX-100 today
In reply to Renard DellaFave, May 17, 2013

I think the RX100 vs NEX issue is a bit of a red herring here. For most of the things that photographers value (bokeh, low-light, highlights) a larger sensor is likely to be a better sensor. So the NEX comes out worse compared to a FF Nikon or Canon.

The RX100 was never intended as a NEX competitor - it's the rest-of-the-compact-camera-market killer (for those with the cash). The Nikon A is starting to show how this is going to pan out -

Smartphones take the mainstream compact camera market (some with zoom lenses, etc.).

Full frame and APC DSLR persists for serious stuff, but prosumers move away from big, heavy bodies and big, heavy glass.

The new middle ground is sensor size vs portability - a FF mirrorless body with some Leica-sized fast prime lenses would kill a lot of existing DSLRs, while RX100-sized cameras cram larger sensors in as the tech allows.

And, out there on the raggedy edge, all sorts of weird hybrids and experiments will emerge, chasing those photographers (ie. all of us on these forums) who believe that their NEXT camera will allow their photographic genius to be fully appreciated...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow