Started May 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
blurredvision
Regular MemberPosts: 392Gear list
Like?
Torn between D5200 or a D7100.
May 16, 2013

I've come into an unexpected bonus at work and am now able to upgrade my aging D50 earlier than expected.  I had settled on getting a D5200 but now the D7100 is in reach.  Instead of typing a book, I'll just jot down the thought process in my head over the past few hours:

D5200 - Pros

• Right at my budget, $100 off until the end of the month.
  • Can upgrade my D50 18-55 kit lens to the VR version for just $100.  I'll then have a lens to sell with my D50.
  • Great features for its class, matches very favorably to the D7100.
  • All in all, the perfect model for my skill set and use.  I am a very amateur photographer.

D5200 - Cons

• Might run into limitations if I get more into the hobby (which is possible but probably won't happen given my history with photography and hobbies in general).
  • No built-in AF motor, so my 50mm 1.8 will need to be sold and upgraded.

D7100 - Pros

• Great features, will handle anything I'd ever want to do with a camera and more.
  • I love having all the features available to me just in case I'd ever want to use them.
  • I feel like having the D7100 will future-proof me for years to come.
  • Built-in AF motor.

D7100 - Cons

• Over my budget, while doable, but still an extra $400.
  • Nothing that makes me go "WOW!" feature-wise that it has over the D5200.
  • I'm not rich and will probably never have a lens that costs over $300, so am I really taking advantage of the body?
  • Realistically, I'll probably never make use of the higher-end features, although I'm oddly comforted that they're there.
  • I'll never enter photography as any more than a hobby, so do I really need this?
  • I can't say that I'll ever be able to tell the difference in IQ between the D5200 and D7100.

I really want the D7100 but am having trouble justifying it.  Thoughts?

blurredvision's gear list:blurredvision's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Nikon D50 Nikon D5200 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow