Pentax Brand Not Featured in Gear Shop

Started May 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
JeffAHayes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,928Gear list
Like?
Re: interesting
In reply to John_A_G, May 16, 2013

John, one could EASILY make the same argument about magazines that run ads for the major camera makers (that they won't run negative reviews because it will hurt their bottom line). And as Simon replied to you further down, DPReview still makes MOST of its revenue from advertising, anyway.

Of course I rarely see any lens or camera reviews in any of the major photography mags that are more than mildly critical of a product made by any of the major brands (7 out of 10 is about the worst review I can ever recall seeing over the past several years). And I DO suspect at least part of the reason reviews don't go much more critical than that is advertising concerns (even though some, such as Pentax, never seem to advertise, and still get rave reviews, but then Pentax earns them, lol).

So I really don't see this as much of a conflict of interest... No more so than, say, Popular Photography having multi-page direct-sale ads by Adorama and B&H Photography in its back pages.

As for Simon saying perhaps we should ask PENTAX why their products aren't for sale here, yeah, I was thinking the same thing... Once again, my "secret camera society" theory comes into play, wherein Pentax seems to operate a marketing strategy the almost implies that you have to be part of some "special club" to "belong." Personally, I'm happy to "belong to the club." On the flip side, I've always DESPISED CLIQUES. So I wish Pentax could get its marketing act together and either stabilize the prices on its premium lenses or figure out how to get back into more than a few dozen B&M stores in just a few states!

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow