On putting money into 4:3 gear ...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,274
Like?
Re: It will not ..
In reply to Great Bustard, 11 months ago

Great Bustard wrote:

In all honesty, how often does the IQ of a photo affect the success of a photo?  According to this poll I started in the Open Forum, most feel it's fairly rare.

For me? All the time. I have a magazine manager who expects what I submit to meet certain publication standards. My main client has come to expect photos that are a cut above the "GWC" stuff people were submitting in the past, and certainly expects better results than the cell phone camera shots people like to submit with the idea that because they think it's a great shot of last night's concert, it really is a great shot.

A couple of weeks ago I was reviewing some shots on my lcd during an intermission. A friend looking on saw one photo and declared it "absolutely amazing". At first glance (on that tiny LCD), it was a "killer" shot. Band members all interacting with each other, just the right positions, expressions, lighting. The sort of photo that would make a nice poster to sell as souvenirs. I zoomed in and winced as I saw the softness due to subject motion. I deleted it. He asked me why. I said "Because I owe it to those I take photos of and for to present the same level of professional results they provide."

For me, IQ is a vital part of the success of the photos I take, because I already present aestheticallly pleasing images of interesting subjects (musicians, dancers and actors). It's one of several aspects that set what I do apart from the guy who creeps up next to me with his iPhone to take a couple of quick shots.

Even so, there are times when I submit or publish an image with questionable (to me) IQ because it still works well enough at portraying the atmosphere of the concert to overcome any flaws.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
+1New
skeys MOD
Say,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow