Poll Will You buy LR5 knowing that next LR will be available through cloud only?

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,007
Like?
Cheer up!
In reply to DMillier, May 16, 2013

DMillier wrote:

So in practice, your only option is to render out the images as a set of finished TIF files and keep the original unprocessed raws along with a set of processing instructions that no software exists to follow except for the software you are trying to avoid using because of the fear that one day Adobe might choose to cut you off unless you pay them for the rest of your life!

Well, I don't think it is that bad actually.  You don't need the written processing instructions (who takes notes THAT good?).  That tif file IS an actualized version of the processing instructions. As always, rational backup procedures keeps your images safe.  Frankly, anyone who hasn't been doing that all along for their 'done' photos was asking for trouble anyway.

Hmmm, not entirely satisfactory situation.  I guess you could always virtualise a 20 year old copy of your early paid for version of LR and move that from machine to machine forever...

Why complicate your life and trade one uncertainty for the uncertainty of a major technology shift that renders your plan useless?

Wouldn't it just be easier in the long run, to bite the bullet. export your library of 'dones' to tif (or even jpeg for some photographers - it ain't 'lossy' if you don't edit and then save again.).  Then you export the raws, BACK UP BOTH of those exports, find a new piece of software, and be done with it? Proper planning will minimize any transitional pain.  This is really no different or more difficult than when a favorite software publisher goes out of business.  Easier actually, since you've got plenty of time to do it right.

Or, you could decide to stick with Lr and run the risks you are talking about.  That's a perfectly valid business/life decision.  Personally, I'm probably going to switch, unless I just CAN'T find something I can live with. (so far, I like ACDSee Pro 6 pretty well)  Plenty of time to decide and even change my mind if I have to.

Now is the time for hard headed business/life decisions.  This is NOT the end of the world!

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NoNew
YesNew
YesNew
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow