Started May 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rene Delbar
Regular MemberPosts: 326Gear list
Like?
Re: Tilt and shift lens with adaptor using XP1
In reply to Rod McD, May 16, 2013

Interesting... I am currently using the same combination: :

X-E1 + Kipon T&S adapter + Tokina 17/3.5

I received my adapter only 2 days ago, so my practical experience is very limited.

I am very pleased with the Kipon adapter. It is very well executed. The tilt control works as advertised  The shift control is very easy to operate, but the indicator scale can sometimes be hard to read depending on the unit's orientation (e.g. the hand grip blocks visibility). My only real concern so far is that the mechanism to rotate the lens mount over 360 degrees (with 30 degree clicks) is very stiff on my copy; maybe that will improve over time.

Full tilt and shift

I already owned Kipon's separate tilt-only and shift-only adapters. Compared to these, the new T&S adapter has several advantages: for shift, the range extends from 10 to 15mm and now works in both directions without having to rotate the mount; for shift: there is (finally!) precise control and an indicator scale. (The tilt-only adapter, in my opinion, is more targeted for creative applications, e.g. portraits or 'lensbaby' use, where you will adjust tilt amount and direction interactively while looking through the viewfinder)

With respect to the Tokina lens: I am somewhat disappointed by the limited image circle. You should not shift this lens (assuming horizontal frame format) more than 8mm horizontally or 10mm vertically. The few Nikon primes I tested easily do to 10mm/12mm respectively, with my AF 50mm f/1.8 copy allowing for 15mm shift in all directions. But you still can do a lot.

See these quick test shots:

15mm clearly hits the limits of the Tokina's image circle.

I have been looking for a long time to get an affordable copy of the Nikon 20mm f/2.8 to compare.

I will document further findings on this forum as we go. Looking forward to read more user experiences!

-- hide signature --

René
renedelbar.blogspot.com * 500px.com/rdelbar * www.pbase.com/rdelbar

Rene Delbar's gear list:Rene Delbar's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow