In reply to Just Having Fun, May 16, 2013

Just Having Fun wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

philosomatographer wrote:

The E-5 produces 1m-wide prints that easily put most other systems to shame for detail/contrast, and this will not change for as long as the camera works.

I assume that, by "most other systems", you are acknowledging that cell phones and compacts outnumber DSLRs by a massive margin.

The E-5 is a fine, solid camera, but all of Oly's great processing can't bring the that circa 2008 sensor into the present.

For fun, let's see how the E-5 compares to a "last year's model" P&S...

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/812%7C0/(brand)/Sony/(appareil2)/682%7C0/(brand2)/Olympus

DxO doesn't measure detail/contrast.

Which is why I provided quotes from DPR on detail.  But clearly for all else DxO shows who is the winner in their measurements, right?

"The winner" meaning what, exactly?

DxO extracts information from raw data, then uses various methods to generate what it considers to be comparative numbers.  These don't necessarily mean a lot if you are interested in how a given photographic tool (body or lens) will perform.

SAY WHAT???  It will tell you which sensor/body will give you better DR, less noise, etc. (Agree on lenses)

Sadly, you are confused here because what they do test is the body/sensor combination for RAW output (what most of us use).  Their measurements do mean A LOT if you are interested in how a given photographic tool (body) will perform.

DPR back this up too,  Select the RX100 and E-5 in the their compare tool and set it to ISO6400 and RAW...then select any darker area.  It is not even close and the RX100 visually has more real-life detail (even with its lesser/cheap lens).

Now we get to the part that is really disturbing.  You keep calling people "liars" when they quote DPR measurements.

Again,

• the E-5 they measured "up to approximately 2600Lph" resolution.
  • the RX100 they measured "comfortably beyond 2600 lph" resolution.

Those are called FACTS.  Yes, the RX100 has a higher MP sensor which explains the high resolution from the point and shoot.  Yes, the E-5 can give "the impression of resolution" that is NOT " 'true' detail" according to DPR.

I gotta admit, I have no idea how he gets the "RX100 comfortably beyond 2600..." with the "which is expected of a camera of xxxx resolution" - as an invalidation of the former claim in that paragraph. Well *duh* yes, that's how it achieves it. So? Surprise! No?

What nobody here is mentioning is the downright *nasty* banding the E-5 sensor has starting to show in as little as ISO 1600. God forbid if you need to raise shadows at high ISO's for whatever reason, though now there are some noise reduction plug ins/program that try to eliminate banding.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hmm.New
Yup!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow