OM-D E-M5 vs E-5 (build quality)

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
philosomatographer
Regular MemberPosts: 484Gear list
Like?
Re: Actually, I agree...
In reply to Great Bustard, May 16, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

The equivalence equation balances in my favour for my needs.

Well, it depends on what your specific needs are.  For example, if we're talking the Tamron 24-70 / 2.8 VC and Tamron 70-200 / 2.8 VC on a D600 compared to a 14-35 / 2 and 35-100 / 2 on an E5, I'm curious how the equivalence equation balances in your favor.

The Tamron is a C-grade optic that needs stopping down to f/5.6 to even approach the resolution of the ZD 14-35 at f/2.0, and simply never reaches the contrast or colour fidelity, that's how. LOL - comparing the two is quite a funny proposition Thanks for the laugh.

If you prefer a smooth but bland and mushy high-megapixel image, that's your business. I prefer an ultra-sharp, contrasty, vivid image at a lower resolution. With lots of PP and downscaling you could make your image look like that too, but I made a different choice.

This is all reminiscent over the outrage over how "poor" the images coming out of the Leica M9 is. Yet, when you actually print well-processed images from that camera, the image quality is spectacular, and the detail is usually superior to most prints made from most DSLRs.

Why? Because of superior lenses. Yet the M-system gets as much crap from Canon/Nikon owners as the Four Thirds people do. Oh well...

philosomatographer's gear list:philosomatographer's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hmm.New
Yup!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow