Started May 16, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mateo Miller
Regular MemberPosts: 426Gear list
Like?
Firmware and file formats?
May 16, 2013

I don't know anything about firmware so excuse me if this is stupid.

1.  Curious if it is technically possible to update firmware so that raw files are saved in DNG format rather than proprietary format?

2. Can certain options be added to camera capabilities via firmware rather than physically upgrading camera ? eg re-functioning buttons: instead of having "scene modes" on a Nikon D3200 have the firmware allow "U1, U2" User positions?

3.  What does firmware control versus what is "hard wired" into the camera.

From a totally ignorant point of view it would seem there might be a business opportunity for a company to offer "firmware" upgrades versus camera upgrades.  I would rather spend $100 "fixing" the disabled features of lower end cameras rather the having to spend $300 or more just to get a couple of features of a higher end camera.  And saving to DNG would be a nice feature instead of having to deal with Adobe just to convert a raw file.

4. Aperture with "layers" and I'm good to go. (or something similar)

Maybe a software company that would like a share of the Photoshop market would offer a "firmware" upgrade to DNG and a couple of other "fixes" mentioned above with the purchase of an imaging program.

I understand if someone chose to change the firmware why Nikon or Canon would void the warranty but if I have a 1 year old camera they aren't going to "help" me anyway so...?

Mateo Miller's gear list:Mateo Miller's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
ANSWER:
Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow