Camera Stores going Extinct?

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
GreenMountainGirl
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
Like a kid in a toy store!
In reply to mgd43, May 16, 2013

mgd43 wrote:

Manhattan has B&H and Adorama, but going there means driving in on a Sunday and paying tolls, gas, and parking which comes to at least $50.

I just got back from a drive down to NYC.  A friend needed to go, and I went with Just so I could go to B&H - my first time in the store.  It is 3 1/2 to 4 hours depending on traffic from where I live in Vermont.  Had to go on a week day - I'll bet Sunday has to be much better!  Taking the parkways down, no tolls, it was nice until actually in Manhattan.  Then the traffic.  And the double-parking.  And the people getting out of subways that walk across the intersection en masse.  And having to go around 2 blocks to find the parking because of the one-way streets.  But at least the B&H parking was free because I spent enough money!

Being in the store was an amazing, total immersion, type of experience!!!  I loved it.  The sales people were patient with me, answered my questions, and were never in a hurry.  Amazing, because the place was very very busy...  But they have a system (and lots of employees) that makes it all run smoothly at every stage - I thought their little mini elevators to get merchandise from the stockroom were very clever.  Luckily I had made a list and stuck to it, or I would have maxed out my credit card...

Even though once I left the store, I couldn't wait to get out of Manhattan, I am so glad I went.  Even with the hassles of getting there and then back home again, it is an experience worth having.

Susan

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow