Poll Will You buy LR5 knowing that next LR will be available through cloud only?

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,514
Like?
Re: Export MIGHT be possible. . .
In reply to Ted Kahn, May 16, 2013

Ted Kahn wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

Well those non destructive edits can be stored directly in a DNG file, So theoretically at least, those edits could be accessed by any piece of software that fully supported the DNG format.

I don't think that will work.  Lightroom stores your edits as a list of instructions that tell the image rendering engine (if that's the right terminology) what to do in order to make the image look the way you adjusted it.  Without the engine itself the instructions are meaningless, and of course no other company has access to Adobe's engine.

Bummer!  I suspect you are correct.  Sometimes we get carried so away with the challenge that we forget the practical application.

It appears the area in a dng file set aside for the changes is a free form text field of no fixed size.  The software publisher appears to be free to use this field any way it wants.  Even if there were consistent standards on how that field was used so that retrieval of the information stored there was simple; re applying that info to the photo in a manner consistent with how Adobe does it might violate Adobe's proprietary rights.  The algorithms are copyrightable and I can't believe Adobe would let that detail slide!

At the very least, I suspect writing some sort of conversion utility would not likely be economically viable.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NoNew
YesNew
YesNew
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow