Olympus OM-D E-M5 Vs. Sony NEX-6 (or other APS-C mirrorless)

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
cmpatti
Regular MemberPosts: 192Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Vs. Sony NEX-6 (or other APS-C mirrorless)
In reply to Pierrrrrrre, May 16, 2013

People tend to obsess over immaterial difference--for example sensor quality--that won't really make any visible difference in prints or web-sized images. To my mind there are three major factors--factors that will make a significant difference to your shooting experience and photographs--that should be the basis of your decision between these two cameras:

1.  Availability of lenses.  Here the EM5 (or any MFT camera) has a clear edge over the Sony.

2. IBIS.  EM5 has it, Sony doesn't.

3. Handling.  This one is subjective and could legitimately be the deciding factor if you really like the handling of the Sony more than the EM5.

For me, 1 & 2 were decisive in choosing the EM5 over the NEX system (I was looking at the NEX 7), but #3 might be decisive for you in the other direction.  At the end of the day, however, they are both great cameras, and you should be able to take fabulous pictures with either, so whatever decision you make, stick with it and avoid the temptation to continually system-swap.

PS--You forgot to ask about the Fuji.

cmpatti's gear list:cmpatti's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow