Started May 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,370Gear list
Like?
Tamron 90mm f/2.5 Macro - Comments and Pictures
May 15, 2013

I just received and began to play with my new lens, a Used Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro, model 52BB. This lens is an older manual version of their famous 90mm f/2.8. This is a Tamron ‘adaptall’. Adaptall models are manual lenses without a mount so you can buy the appropriate ‘adaptall mount’ and fit the lens directly on any camera. This one came with a Nikon adaptall mount so for the moment I am using that mount and my Nikon-Fuji adapter instead of buying a dedicated Tamon - Fuji X (about $22) and it works great and I can use it on my Fuji and Nikon.

This lens is exactly what I wanted. I strongly prefer 90mm + for flower/nature work as I get useful working distance and the narrow FOV makes it easy to play with backgrounds. It has an aperture ring, smooth manual focus ring that goes around about 300 degrees from Infinity to 1:2. It cost very little, under $200 since their is no AF motor to drive up the price who buys legacy lenses these days  The lens is light, about 440 grams and fits perfectly in my hand. Just the right weight to hold it steady without being a burden at all. The lens is sharp and bokeh is like butter. A

I used to love taking my Nikons out to shoot flowers, starting with a D70 and an old Nikon 105 micro up to a D300 with the wonderful Sigma 150mm f/2.8 which worked great with a Sigma 1.4x TC. But the romance seemed to have faded as I lugged around my tripod and waited for the air to be still... Now, with this combo, which is so small and light but easy to control, shooting flowers got fun again. I am able to get down and hand hold and move around to work the subject. Flower photography is fun again!!!

Also, for this type of hand held work is often easier to just move the entire camera/lens combo in/out instead of trying to focus as shooting wide open has a tiny DOF.

Below are a few test shots. All hand held, jpegs shot in Velvia mode. All around f/2.5 or f/2.8, which is tricky business handheld for closeups.

Next to a Fuji 18-55 zoom

Shot straight down with camera hanging from my neck as I moved up and down to focus

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow