On putting money into 4:3 gear ...

Started May 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,330Gear list
Like?
Re: It's no different than film was....
In reply to Stacey_K, May 15, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

So why is the lens/sensor combination some how not important today?

Who is saying it's not important? The lens has only recently been brought into the discussion via my recent response to you. Up to now, the central discussion has pretty much been solely about camera bodies and the latest sensor designs. The fact is, most are well aware that upgrading lenses will do more for picture quality than getting a new body with a new sensor.

And over time, a new body is no more expensive than switching film being used was. As far as "trying it out" you can see the results from each sensor type easily online to see the strengths and weaknesses.

The proof is in the prints, not on 100% views online. Everything looks great on the web. Prints are where the sensor meets the road.

Obviously skill is needed for any of this to matter (why this keeps being brought up is beyond me), but you guys seem to be discounting the importance the sensor has on the end result.

I can post a dozen different images taken with a dozen different cameras going back to 2002 and up to the present, and I doubt you'll be able to see much of a difference in quality among them ... nor would you be able to tell which image was taken from which camera. My archives total about 150,000 pure digital RAW images across 9TB of storage. My cameras date back to the Kodak DCS 520 (2 megapixels!) and into the present with Canon DSLRs, Fuji, etc. Via Lightroom, I can browse the images pretty quickly and can maneuver from one body to another via a keyword. I can tell you for certain that the biggest change, by far, in image-making has come by way of image-processing, both in-camera and via external software. Capture One processes my old Canon 10D images way better than my original Canon software ever could. Getting Capture One was like getting new cameras. Yes ... I'm saying that the improvements in sensor design have not been quite as great as improvements in conversion software or in-camera JPEG processing. Let the arguments begin.

And the "This guy with a lot of skill and an old tech camera can make better images than this novice with the newest tech" is just silly and obvious to anyone.

Sorry ... but there's nothing silly about it. There are images being shot today with very, very old 11 X 17 view cameras that put even medium format digital to shame. The difference isn't the technology as much as it is the photographer's knowledge about how to use old tech ... which dovetails into the fact that so many photography schools and photography departments at the university level start out with teaching film-based photography.

-- hide signature --

SteveG

'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
+1New
skeys MOD
Say,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow