Can Sony speed up AF with its next NEX body?

Started May 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cptobvious
Regular MemberPosts: 402
Like?
Can Sony speed up AF with its next NEX body?
May 15, 2013

This is a point of curiosity for me, having owned the NEX-5N, NEX-5R and NEX-6 but selling them.  I was happy with the cameras for the most part (ergonomics & image quality) and the price of the NEX-6 is a better value than the Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Fuji XE-1 IMO.  However, the biggest reason for selling is the AF speed - the NEXs aren't bad (better than the XE-1) but nowhere as quick as the E-M5 with Olympus MSC lenses.  I thought the 5R with the hybrid autofocus and touch shutter would be the one, but sadly AF speed and accuracy were disappointing.

It seems the big advantage of Olympus MSC lenses is that they are designed so that focusing is controlled by a single, thin lens element that moves (magnetically along a rail - I admit I don't really know how it works).  If you've shot with the E-M5 and the 12, 17 1.8, 45, or 75 primes  there's a big difference in S-AF speed over the SEL35F18 or SEL50F18, for example.  I do not know if any of Sony's E-mount lenses are designed this way.  If not, it seems any focusing improvements in the body would be physically limited by the AF mechanisms in the current lenses.

I would prefer my next camera to be a NEX because frankly I think the E-M5 system is overpriced and the NEXs have much better ergonomics, but AF would be a big factor.

NEX5R Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow