Poll Will You buy LR5 knowing that next LR will be available through cloud only?

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,466
Like?
Export MIGHT be possible. . .
In reply to Ted Kahn, May 15, 2013

Well those non destructive edits can be stored directly in a DNG file, So theoretically at least, those edits could be accessed by any piece of software that fully supported the DNG format. And Lightroom 3 at least allows you to optionally store those edits in the DNG file itself or in the Lr database.

It is my understanding that DNG is in the public domain.  So recent events may have made that level of support support of DNG economically viable for other software publishers.  It might be possible prior to a move from Lr to convert your photos to dng, storing the changes within dng format and then use the dng file with some other product.  Wouldn't it be ironic that dng might be the method to facilitate a move away from Lightroom?

ACDSee supports dng, but I don't know to what level (apparently there is dng support and then there is dng SUPPORT!).  I don't have time to look today but I have both Lr 3 and ACDSee Pro 6, I will look to see just how practical this idea is.  But if not, maybe ACDSee or some of the other publishers could see some value in facilitating this in the next version of their software.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NoNew
YesNew
YesNew
(unknown member)
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow