why not f/1.2 by Sony?

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,698Gear list
Like?
Re: that's not a fast lens
In reply to stan_pustylnik, May 15, 2013

stan_pustylnik wrote:

A 35/1.2 lens on APS-C sensor... what exactly would it accomplish over 35/1.8 outside of bragging rights?

what exactly would it accomplish? - More light collected by lens and delivered to sensor.

I just posted this below, but a 1-stop advantage in f-stop is no guarantee of the same in t-stop. And where exactly would you use this small advantage in? Very low light conditions? Sure, you may now have 1/30s shutter speed instead of 1/20s, courtesy of having paid 3x-4x more, in a larger, heavier package.

Your logic is weird, why then there are f/2.8 lenses if same could be duable with f/3.5 ones?

My logic is weird? Perhaps it is weird for you to shoot with anything but wide open apertures? And trust me, I'm one of the few who doesn't complain about Sony 16mm and 20mm pancakes being "only" f/2.8. I have Samyang 8mm f/2.8 E as well, which is f/3.5 for other mounts. If Samyang were to launch a Samyang 8mm f/3.5 E with shorter MFD, I would gladly take it over f/2.8.

Even a stop was a huge deal a few years ago, with limited capabilities of sensors. Not today.

I owned 2 versions of 20mm prime lens on 35mm system f/2.8 and f/1.8

What I can confirm - in dim light conditions f/1.8 was capable picking color tones and details that f/2.8 "didn't see". Same difference will be between f/1.2 and f/1.8

Not really. You might end up dealing with softness, possibly lower contrast, focusing issues, larger size, weight and you'd have paid 3x-4x for it. Chances are, the color differences you saw weren't due to f-stop, but characteristics of respective lenses.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
@OPNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow