Olympus OM-D E-M5 Vs. Sony NEX-6 (or other APS-C mirrorless)

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Vs. Sony NEX-6 (or other APS-C mirrorless)
In reply to Pierrrrrrre, May 15, 2013

One day I thought I really want a smaller camera than my Sony A77.  So I looked at NEX.  No image stabilization?  That's a no-go for me.  I noticed in a thread mention of the E-M5 and took a look.  Now I have one.

My history is probably different from yours -- I have some micro four thirds and four thirds lenses.  My Panasonic G1 has been converted to IR and lives with the Pany 14-140mm lens.  I also still have the Pany 20mm pancake, a four thirds wide angle, and an Oly 70-300mm four thirds.  Plus a converter of course.

But even if you don't have lenses, look at the lens lineup for the NEX.  Not much.  And even with a converter and my Sony lenses, the NEX has no stabilization and the lenses don't because the A77 and A55 bodies do.

So to me it was mostly no stabilization (a killer for me) and few lenses.  Add that I had lenses that would work on the E-M5, I bought the E-M5.

I don't know how large the lenses are for the NEX but I am really enjoying again the small lens size of micro four thirds.  Or even four thirds!  I bought a long zoom for the Sony and I swear I've almost never use it.  It's almost as large as my car.  I love the four thirds Oly 70-300mm (to 600 equivalent) but am looking forward to springing for the 75-300mm micro four thirds.  Both focus at about 3 ft, which makes it great for "macro" flower photography.  As well as birds.

You need to see the E-M5 with the Pany 20mm pancake.  Nice lens, lovely  package.

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow