Poll Will You buy LR5 knowing that next LR will be available through cloud only?

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
John1940
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063Gear list
Like?
Re: Export possible?
In reply to Ted Kahn, May 15, 2013

Ted Kahn wrote:

DMillier wrote:

Does LR have the capability of exporting out all your images, edits and metadata in some kind of format other programs can use such that if you were forced to move to another program you wouldn't lose a decade of work?

I do not want to have my photos held hostage because 10 years ago I made a lot of complicated edits to a raw file that exist only in LR, in a format that no other program can replicate.

Any time you want you can export your edited images as TIFF files that can be opened by other software, so you won't lose the work you've done up till that point.  But the edits will be destructively baked into the TIFF file.  I'm not aware of any software that lets you nondestructively edit a raw file, and then export those edits nondestructively to software from another company.  If such software exists I'd sure like to know about it.  But I believe your concern about Adobe software applies to all photo editing software from any company.  No matter what software you're using, if you decide for any reason to switch to another company you will not be able to transfer your edits nondestructively.

There is a different way of proceeding, however, and it is used by most programmers. The reason is that it's easy to foul up something and you don' want to go too many steps back to find out where things went wrong, for whatever reason. It's really important in writing software because your code (in a longish subroutine, for example, or several that interact) has to be perfect. It goes as follows:

You write, say 15 or 20% of the code for Sub 3.0 and do a Save (to disk). Then do a Save As Sub 3.1 and write more code and do a Save. Then do a Save As Sub 3.2 and write more code and do a Save. Repeat this until the last Save and you are ready to test the code. When you test it you will find out where the code failed (if it did) and you have an audit trail to find out what happened. Even if your code passed its first test, your logic may have been flawed, and you may find that out much later. In that case, and if you have chosen your Save As points wisely, and have kept the audit trail, fixing the design of the code is simplified.

For code, the memory usage is trivial. I keep all the steps for a project for every sub and every total code for each day for many years, backed up several ways in bomb-proof, undisclosed locations (er, sort of). For Tiffs memory usage is huge. But, if you want to keep the Save As Tiff3.3 or whatever, that's the workaround. Decide later to only keep the final Tiff (perhaps Tiff 3.5), if you wish.

-- hide signature --

John1940

John1940's gear list:John1940's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NoNew
YesNew
YesNew
(unknown member)
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow