VR/VC/OS - How shutter speed and other factors “may” affect IQ.

Started May 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
jsr4522
Regular MemberPosts: 102
Like?
Re: Clarification of this thread.
In reply to dwa1, May 15, 2013

My memory of physics is rusty to say the least, but in reference to your example two below, VR may be less effective at 1/500 and faster shutter speeds because at that point you are trying to process a signal above nyquist.

dwa1 wrote:

I apologize if there is a lack of clarity / purpose for this thread.

What prompted me to start this thread was that people were reporting that with certain "high" shutter speeds VR was doing "more harm than good". They were getting better images without VR at certain combos of shutter speeds and focal lengths. These statements made me wonder if I could get better images from my existing equipment by knowing when to turn VR On and when to turn it Off. In all aspects here we are talking about handheld shots - not those on a tripod.

For the most part however, the posters were making very "generalized statements" and (for me) they were not providing enough of the "other" shooting "specifics" - especially in regard to: AF-C vs. AF-S and "action" vs. "somewhat stationary".

Here are 2 hypothetical examples of what I think would be more detailed (and helpful) information. Remember, I am just making these up and they are not actual experiences or facts. They are just examples of less "generalized statements" - providing more details.

Example 1…

With lens "XYZ" on my "Dnnn" body, when shooting BIF in good light with shutter speeds of 1/500 sec and above, at a focal length of 300mm, with AF-C mode, CL (continuous low speed release mode), with birds moving toward me, I find that I get more AF hits and a higher keeper rate with VR Off.

Example 2…

With lens "XYZ" on my "Dnnn" body, when shooting a bird that is feeding on the ground (but not staying in one spot very long) in good light with shutter speeds of 1/500 sec and below, at a focal length of 300mm, with AF-S mode, CL (continuous low speed release mode), I find that I get more AF hits and a higher keeper rate with VR On.

What I was trying to accomplish with this thread…

A - Get many more experiences (with the specific details) from other shooters as to when they elect to use or not use VR (VC, OS).

B - Provide a "single thread" for "A" as an alternative (or addition) to postings that appear in multiple threads.

fwiw… My inquisitive and analytical mind suggests to me that what was once true for a specific lens and 1st version of VR may not be true with a newer version of that lens with it’s 3rd version of VR. Also, I’m wondering whether using AF-C vs. AF-S vs. MF at the same "high" shutter speed makes a difference.

I hope that we can get some really good feedback here about your handheld shooting, lenses, Nikon body, camera settings in regard to shutter speeds and the use of VR - On/Off.

Thanks for any feedback about these matters.

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow