Any Lightroom 4 alternatives that cost less?

Started May 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,327
Like?
Re: Aperture for OS X - $80
In reply to Keit ll, May 15, 2013

Keit ll wrote:

Try Scarab Darkroom , currently it's free !

www.scarablabs.com

-- hide signature --

Keith C

I just tried Scarab.  I liked it quite a bit, and I was able to get results I liked pretty quickly.  However I immediately saw some of things that made it difficult for me to use.

1. It is JUST a raw converter. It has no organizational tools at all.  I have trouble seeing how it fits into a reasonably efficient workflow. How would that work?  You would need to select the image in a raw aware organizer (which probably already HAS the ability to do raw development), send it to Scarab for conversion, then if needed send it to your editor.  I realize this is a beta product, but still at least some basic organization and better browsing tools would really be helpful.
  2. The menus and controls are TINY on my system.  I don't have this problem with either Lr3 or ACDSee Pro 6.  There is no way to adjust the size of these things.  Everything is so small, I can't really tell what the icons DO without clicking on them.
  3. I found the slider controls a bit difficult to control with accuracy
On the whole, this is a good start, but I'd like to have some better way to make it easier for my middle-aged eyes to be comfortable, and to have finer control over the edits.
-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow