Poll Will You buy LR5 knowing that next LR will be available through cloud only?

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sunny Caribe
Regular MemberPosts: 490
Like?
Re: Export possible?
In reply to DMillier, May 15, 2013

DMillier wrote:

Does LR have the capability of exporting out all your images, edits and metadata in some kind of format other programs can use such that if you were forced to move to another program you wouldn't lose a decade of work?

IIRC the image tags I applied in Picasa migrated to my LR catalog on import.  It might be worth testing if they survive the migration back.

The idea of non-destructive editing becomes a lot less attractive if you are forced to pay Adobe a monthly fee for the rest of your life for the right to access your photos even if you do nothing with them...

Very true, but as your title suggests exporting keeper images seems like a manageable addition to one's workflow.

There's a name for that kind of program... "Ransomware".

Ooooh, good one.  I'm going to remember that.

I do not want to have my photos held hostage because 10 years ago I made a lot of complicated edits to a raw file that exist only in LR, in a format that no other program can replicate.

Perhaps this debate is a good one as it raises awareness of the risk that Adobe could choose to do this at any point....

Exactly.  The sense of betrayal many of us feel illustrates the pitfalls of the complacence we (or at least I) have become guilty of where Adobe is concerned.  In that way, shake-up is good.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Rick
Navigating DPR on an iPad is like trying to type with a shovel.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NoNew
YesNew
YesNew
NoNew
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow