Started May 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 988
Like?
Sent a D800 with 20'000 shots for repair, got one with 400 back
May 15, 2013

So, my first D800 (the one I bought as soon as it got released in March 2012), that I used for one year, had a shutter count of ~20'000. Its pop-up flash had a problem (since day 1 I think): whenever I popped it up, the camera would not fire. Pressing the shutter button produced nothing, and as soon as I closed the pop-up flash, the camera would take photos again. Resetting the menus and everything didn't help. I never really needed the pop-up flash so I didn't want to send it in for a repair sooner.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought another D800 (used, I wrote a thread about sensor dust/oil on that camera) and this meant I could afford to be without my other D800 for a couple of weeks, so I decided to send the camera to fix the issue with the flash.

A couple of days ago, I received my D800 back from Nikon. I immediately noticed that it didn't look like the camera I had been using for a year, and indeed, here are all the things that were different (newer) after the repair:

• the feeling of the rotating wheels feel new (they "click" more than before)
  • the on-off switch is smoother
  • the painting of the af-on button is like new (mine had a scratch inside the white line of paint)
  • the plastic around the tripod hole shows no signs of wear, mine had multiple marks
  • I had GSS protection on both LCDs, they're gone

And here is the strange part:

• I looked at the serial number on the bottom plate of the camera : same as mine. I guess they can take it off of one camera and mount it on another.
  • I took a couple of shots and opened them with exiftool: the shutter count was 398 !!! and the serial number of the photos was different !! So I now have a camera that has different serial numbers on the camera and inside the software !
  • On the technical paper that they send with the details of the repair, they say nothing about a replacement, they list a number of repairs and checks ("pop-up flash replaced", "general cleaning and checking", etc)

Has anybody experienced anything like that ? Why didn't Nikon change the firmware/software to match the old serial number/shutter count (maybe they can't) ? What are the implications of not having the same serial number on the camera and on the photos it produces ??

And why didn't Nikon just ship the 400-shot-new-D800 with its original serial number (the one that is still engraved inside the software) and say that they replaced it with another one ? Instead of stating that they made some repairs on my original body and actually shipping another !

I guess I'm happy that I got an almost new one back with 19'600 shots less, but it leaves me really perplex !

Thanks for reading.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow