Starting fine art printing with Epson Stylus Pro 7890.. or 9890

Started May 14, 2013 | Questions thread
faith_ps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101Gear list
Like?
Re: Starting fine art printing with Epson Stylus Pro 7890.. or 9890
In reply to Tom-C, May 15, 2013

I have the 7900 which is the same as the 7890 with 2 extra ink colors.

These printers are very easy to load and use with roll paper. No reason why you would need help in printing.

The 7890 vs. 9890 decision process should include: do you have enough room for the 9890? It is BIG. How close is the nearest 44" printer? Would you have a monopoly on prints in the range of 24 inches to 44 inches?

I figure an ink cost of $0.63 per square foot. You would need to convert that to use your local currency and metric. Paper cost is easy to calculate.

Your selling price would need to be several times your cost for paper and ink to cover the cost of trial prints, and for the printer purchase price.

Are you practiced enough to make good prints now with some other printer? If not, then you will need to plan for a longer learning period to develop the skills to produce good quality prints with a minimum of mistakes.

Tom

faith_ps wrote:

Hi All,

I want to own a larger format printer that I can use at home. With extensive portfolios of photos, I'd like to print them at least A2 sizes. Also who knows I can start a soho business on digital fine art printing here in my town.

The question is... Is Epson Stylus Pro 7890 a good one to start with or should I go straight right up with the 9890. I'll be working alone on my own. So operation has to be as easy and convenient as possible.

Also I'd like to know if there is any website or anyone who is kind enough to share the cost per print so that I can calculate the cost & selling prices. I know it will be hard to have big profit cause its a new start. But hoping to make it in this small business.

Also, what are the quirks and downfalls to watch out for.

Thxs all,

Jakop

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.
Steve Lacy quotes

Hello Tom C,

There is just one good reliable digital photo print with complete service in my town. In fact, I'm a loyal customer. I wont be in competition with them.

The whole idea of me setting a small digital fine art print would be out of my passion to see good quality photos being printed instead of kept in hard disk. So I'm willing to spend money on printer. But I have to be careful on the calculation. Right now I can afford the 7890. If I have larger size jobs, I'll bring it to that print shop I frequent.

Right now I'm on the intensive of learning to print in the best quality possible with an A4 size Epson printer. Hope to really be a good printer with efficiency and effectiveness.

Is what I have right now good enough to get the 7890.

jakop

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.

Steve Lacy quotes

faith_ps's gear list:faith_ps's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica X Vario Olympus Stylus 1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow