D600 vs d7100

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,224Gear list
Like?
Re: "It is better, because image circle is larger" - enough said
In reply to d3xmeister, May 15, 2013

The biggest flaw in the argument is that not everyone requires the equivalence (that one really seems to be popular lately) of FX on DX.  Not everyone needs to work at large apertures with razor thin dof.  Not everyone needs the extra ~stop of low light performance. Many of us want more dof and that is what constrains us.

As you noted, it's not much good to shoot in low light at a large aperture if you're trying to capture a street scene where you want as much dof as possible.  In many cases, FX loses it's benefit here because you need to stop down an additional stop to get the same dof.  Many of the cheaper lenses are horrible on the edges too when shot wide open and you have to stop down if you need good edge-edge sharpness anyway.

I needed a second body recently and after much consideration i ended up getting the D7100 over the D600. I would have picked up a D700 but couldn't find one at the time. Why did I buy the D7100?  Not because of price but because I felt that by buying the D600 I was giving up too many features just to get a larger sensor and it wasn't worth it to me.  I'd love to have a D800E but at this time, it doesn't make sense for me to spend 3x the price of a D7100.

I'm somewhat amused at how long people have said lenses are better on DX because the DX is using the "sweet spot" and within the last 6 months we've changed to saying that DX needs much better lenses than FX because of the higher pixel density.

FX and DX both have benefits and there is no reason that they have to be equivalent; not being equivalent means that in many cases, DX is cheaper.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow