On putting money into 4:3 gear ...

Started May 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,227Gear list
Like?
Although I love the 4/3 gear I have, I am no longer going to consider....
In reply to veroman, May 14, 2013

getting 4/3 items.  Look - I'm with you regarding the IQ of the likes of the E-30 and E-3 (I'm keeping those two), and I still use my E-1 with superior results.  But I've got to admit that recently I've picked up several m4/3 cameras - the OMD E-M5, E-PL5, GX1, GF5 and then the Fuji X-E1, and the IQ (and far less weight) I'm getting with these instruments are absolutely superb.

Even with the E-M5, I find myself feeling like I did when I first got the venerable E-1.  It just feels right and performs superbly.

So although I'm curiously awaiting to see what Oly will release on this side of the fence (meaning regular 4/3), I've taken the bite big time with a variety of Mirrorless units and it's tough for me to look back.

Again, I'm holding on to my E-1, E-3, and E-30 (and also wish I never sold my Panny L1), but at this point in time - unless Oly releases something extraordinary like a Hybrid Model - I'm not about to invest anything else on the regular 4/3 side of the house.

But there is something I do miss and it's the civility and focus on this particular forum - perhaps because it's smaller.  Posting in the micro 4/3 forum is ridiculous - like getting lost in a huge city.  Posts can disappear in minutes to back pages - and of course the bickering that often takes place like they did on the Nikon and Nikon forums.

And while parting, here are some eye candy items for you - taken with the E-M5 and 12-50 lens or the E-PL5 with Panny 20 MM prime on a recent trip to the mountains, culminating in a fantastic meal in a gourmet restaurant situated at 4000 feet above sea level:

Rowland's Restaurant at the Westglow Resort and Spa Center, Blowing Rock, NC.  Some of the finest meals that I've ever eaten are being served here.  It sits at 4000 feet above sea level.  The views from this historic home (once belonged to a famous NC Artist) are unparalleled.

No matter which way you look at this location, you are greeted with a variety of Blue Ridge mountain views.

Imagine sitting here in the warmer months, eating your evening meal while watching the sun go down over the mountains.

One of the many interior views of the Rowland's Restaurant complex

Again - no matter which way you look, you will find an endless amount of views.

More....

One of the many mountain lakes (after a heavy rain fall) on the way to the restaurant.

Another lake view.

And some from the E-PL5 and the Panasonic 20 MM lens - but to be fair, the sun came out in full force by then, thus adding more color and contrasts to the scenes:

This one was taken at ISO 1600.

ISO 400 - and yes, it was as good as it looks!!!!

ISO 400 - so unbelievably rich that I had a gastro-intestinal climax.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +28 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
skeys MOD
skeys MOD
+1New
skeys MOD
Say,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow