Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Parsons
Contributing MemberPosts: 752
Like?
Re: why not f/1.2 by Sony?
In reply to S3ZAi, May 14, 2013

S3ZAi wrote:

davect01 wrote:

Ya, while there are those like you who would buy a $1500, (judging by the cost of the other specialty EMount lenses), 1.2 lens, most would not.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-F3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

How can you be so sure about this? Perhaps people coming from 'down below', from p&s wouldn't. Indeed, I have 2 friends who both bought a nex 5n with kit lens and never needed a second lens.

But what about the people that are looking at nex from 'above', for example pro's who are using an ff camera in their studio, but still would like to have a fast, smaller camera as a walk around setup. I remember Steve Huff being very very enthousiastic about the rx100 first and then the rx1: I'm sure he wouldnt use the rx100 for his studio work. Perhaps he would use the rx1, but I won't speak for him or others. I think the rx1 is mostly for serious photographers who want something to walk around with. Or people with a whole lot of money.

Anyway, if you are a pro and you can choose between a nikon d800 with a 85mm 1.2 lens and a nex with a 50mm 1.2 lens, I'm sure they would opt for the nex set. Not as their main camera, but as a backup/reserve setup. Or a walkaround setup.

Why do we always think from down below or from our own limited perspective? I'm sure if, somehow, sony would make a very expensive, but also an outstanding fast lens, which would be bigger than average, but still not as big as a fast ff lens, it would sell like cookies to many pros.

I don't want to bust your bubble here but you need to face reality. Sony has a pro line of cameras/lenses in the SLT series. There's no way from a business standpoint that Sony is going to undercut their own premium line. Sony has already provided (in their minds) for pros wanting a small/lighter body for backup/walk around with the LA-EA2 and A mount lenses.

Now you don't have to agree with their business plan and you certainly don't have to like it, but it is what it is and isn't likely to change anytime soon. We all get what you're saying, but be realistic- the people who hang out on this (or other) NEX forums are a very small part of the camera buying public. Even here you are among the minority.

And let's look at probabilities. You think you want a f/1.2 lens, but you aren't sure. Do you really think Sony is going spend the money for R&D/testing/production on someone (or a bunch of someones) who might want one? Not likely. At least not any time soon.

Sorry to say, but you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I'd like Mini to bring out a 300 HP Cooper S, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it.

That's just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it. 

-- hide signature --

Jim Parsons

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
@OPNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow