Any interest in a line of Prime Landscape lenses?

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,344
Like?
Re: Any interest in a line of Prime Landscape lenses?
In reply to Canyongazer, May 14, 2013

For anyone shooting with the D600/D800 cameras the best image quality is going to be at f8 for any lens that is used. Refraction is much more of a problem with these need ultra high resolution sensor cameras.

The 14-24mm f2.8 zoom is sharper than the Nikon 14mm f2.8, 18mm f2.8, and 24mm f1.4 prime lenses at any aperture. The same applies to the 24-70mm f2.8 Nikon zoom when used at landscape apertures.

With windblown dust a concern the last thing I want is to replace 2 zoom lenses with 5 prime lenses so I can change lenses 2-3 times as often and let more dust inside the camera.

Prime lenses provided superior image quality to zooms in the 1970's but times change. The only reason for prime now is for a fisheye, PC, macro, or super telephoto lens. I do not use any of these types of lenses for landscape photography. The PC has value but with the new ability to combine multiple images and focus points in Photoshop has eliminated the need for my purposes.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow