why not f/1.2 by Sony?

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bart Hickman
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,237Gear list
Like?
Re: why not f/1.2 by Sony?
In reply to S3ZAi, May 14, 2013

S3ZAi wrote:

You are mistaken about a whole lot of things. I have started a thread like this, and the exact same happened to me. I saw it happen to others too. Many times. When I saw the same thing happening here, what do you expect my reaction to be?

What I see is a whole lot of arguments and misrepresentations that miss the problem at hand. My arguments are not more 'sh!tacular' as you put it, than any other used here. Actually, I think it's the other way around.

I'm sure a 35mm/1.2 lens would be useful on the NEX system, but I'm confused as to why Nikon introducing the N1 32/1.2 lens has any bearing on that.  These are completely different lenses with completely different use-cases.

The N1 32/1.2 is equivalent to 58mm F/2.2 on NEX which is pretty well-covered by the 50/1.4 (you could drop the NEX 50 to 58 and it'd be equivalent to 58 F/1.6 which is superior to the N1 lens.)

OTOH, the Sony 35/1.8 is equivalent to 19mm F/1 on the N1 system.  Nikon offers an 18.5mm F/1.8 lens.  Why not complain how lame Nikon is for not having a 19-F/1 lens?

It seems like, if anything, Nikon is simply trying to keep up with NEX (and others) to the extent possible with a 2.7x sensor.

As for your desire for a 35/1.2 lens, I personally think Sony *almost* has that lens covered with the 35/1.8 and I think they have other higher priorities at the moment rather than making another 35mm lens that's only slightly different.  After their system is more filled out, sure a 35/1.2 would be just fine.

Bart

-- hide signature --
 Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
@OPNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow