I will buy the lens you recommend! 24-hourpoll! Minolta BBC vs Sony 55-300!

Started May 12, 2013 | Questions thread
andycincy
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
Re: I will buy the lens you recommend! 24-hourpoll! Minolta BBC vs Sony 55-300!
In reply to tjwaggoner, May 14, 2013

tjwaggoner wrote:

For what it's worth, Kurt Munger picks the sony 55-300 over the tamron 70-300.

Im still curious as to why you want rid of the 18-135 so bad. Is there something about you don't like?

The reason I want to get rid of it that it is useless to me. It is too short for the times I need a longer zoom. So, I am going to get a 55-300 or 70-300 to take care of that problem. So, it is left serving as the shorter end of the spectrum up to 50 or 70. I have not been thrilled with its indoor low light performance, and have observed the praise heaped upon faster lenses.

While I realize a 35 mm f1.8 prime would be the best option, the lack of zoom kills it for me RIGHT NOW. I am still too much of an amateur, and have too limited of a budget, to be messing around with 1-2 primes plus the bigger zoom, and frankly don't want to be swapping out lenses that often. So, for me getting a 16-50 or 17-50 with a constant f2.8 will, I think, substantially improve my ability to get the lower light shots and indoor action shots that the 18-135 only gets a fraction of the time.

I'm willing to swap between 2 lenses right now, as I can usually do that before I head off to the event of function in advance knowing what it will be and likely how far away I will be from the thing being photographed. I will probably spring for the sony 35 f1.8 around the holidays, and if I find myself liking that shooting style then I of course can re-evaluate the 17-50 lens.

So, in all this thought process, the 18-135 serves no real purpose and just overlaps with everything else. I have read enough on here that there is no good one lens solution, and my own limited experience has already confirmed that for me. So, I'm going with what I think (hope) will be an acceptable alternative of a 2 lens solution.

Hopefully that explains my logic!

I'm getting the Sigma 17-50 f2.8, and since I haven't seen any posts of pics with that lens on this forum I'll put some up. I'm also going to get the Tamron 70-300.

Thanks everyone, as always, for the great and varied advice as well as the spirited discussion. Always learn something here!

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow