Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 44,655Gear list
Like?
Re: Not quite the right question
In reply to Great Bustard, May 14, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

I would not consider these as examples that would apply to my question, as they display differences in operation (different framing as a result of being focal length limited).

This is exactly my point, however.  I buy equipment because I was focal length limited, or aperture limited, or high-ISO limited, or wide-angle limited, or AF-speed limited, or whatever, so that I can get the shots I want.  I don't buy better equipment to get better shots, as we passed that a while ago, for shots within the performance envelope of the equipment.  I buy to expand that envelope.

Good answer!  So, back to my original question, then:  what percent of photos are not taken or not posted because they are in that "expanded envelope"?  In other words, what percent of photos are in the envelope for the vast majority of people with basically any modern system?

Well, I can't answer the "vast majority of people" part, just for me.  For myself, if we assume the "standard envelope" is a cell phone, about 99.9% of my shots are outside of that envelope.  If we assume the "standard envelope" is something like an S100 advanced compact, then probably 90% of my shots are outside of that envelope.  If the "standard envelope" is a crop-sensor camera with something like an 18-135 on it, then something like 75% of my shots are outside that envelope.  If the "standard envelope" is a crop sensor kit with 18-250/300mm total range, then probably 60% of my shots are outside that envelope.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow