Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
Hmmm, why are you being misleading?
In reply to boggis the cat, May 14, 2013

boggis the cat wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

philosomatographer wrote:

The E-5 produces 1m-wide prints that easily put most other systems to shame for detail/contrast, and this will not change for as long as the camera works.

I assume that, by "most other systems", you are acknowledging that cell phones and compacts outnumber DSLRs by a massive margin.

The E-5 is a fine, solid camera, but all of Oly's great processing can't bring the that circa 2008 sensor into the present.

For fun, let's see how the E-5 compares to a "last year's model" P&S...

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/812%7C0/(brand)/Sony/(appareil2)/682%7C0/(brand2)/Olympus

DxO doesn't measure detail/contrast.

Which is why I provided quotes from DPR on detail.  But clearly for all else DxO shows who is the winner in their measurements, right?  As for contrast, doesn't DR play a role?  How does contrast look in the shadows/highlights of an image with very poor DR?

As for resolution, here is what DPR says:

E-5: our chart are accurately described by the E-5 up to approximately 2600Lph

Actual quote:

Even in JPEG mode, all nine lines of our chart are accurately described by the E-5 up to approximately 2600Lph, which represents excellent performance.

From further up:

Considering its relatively modest pixel count,at ISO the E-5 is capable of describing an extraordinary amount of detail, both in JPEG and RAW files.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse5/6

Year old P&S: The RX100 is capturing detail comfortably beyond 2600 lph

OK, yeah, it's fun to think the E-5 has more detail and such, but silly sites like Dxo and DPR have to go and ruin everything!

The RX100 has a higher pixel count, at 20.2 MPixels v 12.3 MPixel, but a smaller sensor.

What DPR actually said:

The RX100 is capturing detail comfortably beyond 2600 lph, which is the sort of figure you'd expect of a camera with 3648 vertical pixels.

Now, why did you feel the need to lie by mis-quotation?

Where did I lie or misquote?  DPR said the RX100 could capture beyond 2600 lph.  Is that a "lie" or is that a fact?  DPR said, the E-5 could capture up to approximately 2600Lph.  Is that a "lie" or fact?

So yes, as YOU point out the smaller sensor camera equals (or suprasses depending how you read it) the E-5 in detail.   Nowhere does DPR contradict what I said and claim the E-5 put the RX100 "shame for detail".

So the reality is the E-5 has a larger sensor with less pixels than the RX100 P&S...and it does NOT "put it to shame" for detail/contrast like that post said...in fact we BOTH agree detail about equal, and we BOTH agree the RX100 wins for DR, color depth and noise.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hmm.New
Yup!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow