Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HomoSapiensWannaBe
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?
Think Tank Modular System - Pouches vs. Skins
May 14, 2013

I am about to buy a Think Tank Modular System for shooting fast changing events, starting with the Pro Speed belt and pouches for 24-85G and 70-200/4G used with a D600 w/ grip.  I am favoring the Lens Changers 50 & 75 because the padding will help cushion knocks and bangs while shooting and transporting the lenses.

However, Skins seem like they would be faster to use, and they have a flat storage compartment on the outer flap (pouches are round so the storage is less useful, imo).   Just raise the flap and stick your hand in the somewhat roomier and more flexible compartment to grab the lens, or tuck the flap away for even faster use.  In a sudden rainstorm, they would possibly offer more protection due to the top flap.  Yes, I understand that both types of pouches include a rain cover, but they take time to install.

Has anyone here used both types?  What did you experience in practical use?

I will leave the hoods on and front lens caps off with lens facing up so when I grab the lens it is ready to mount.

In use, do you leave the rear caps off?  Is there a need to put something really soft in bottom to protect the rear element on those lenses that don't have recessed rear elements?

I will eventually get a small rectangular bag like the Hubba Hubba Hiney, Speed Changer, or Skin Body bag for carrying a flash, filters, another lens, body without lens mounted, etc., so any insight in that is appreciated.

Thanks for any input.

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow