How much brighter are studio strobes than speedlights?

Started May 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
drh681
Forum ProPosts: 10,525
Like?
Re: How much brighter are studio strobes than speedlights?
In reply to Brent Allen Thale, May 14, 2013

Brent Allen Thale wrote:

@drh681 You mean with a flash meter. Trying to decide if I should get one, have never used one, since it's my thought it's the results that matter, not the readout on a device.

How would that be superior to eyeballing the results like I did in my test? I matched the full power SB-900's histogram with the closest one from the X2400, which required brightening the 1/8 power X2400 image artificially in Lightroom by 1/3 stop.

Yes, if you are working with studio strobes on a regular basis, a flash reading light meter will save you a lot of time.

Sekonic's L308s is very a good basic multi-mode meter.

You need to remember histograms are not indications of exposure accuracy. they are graphs of the tonal values of the pixels in your image. A light or dark scene will shift the pixel counts to one side or the other, and the exposure will be accuate. But if you try to "balance the histogram" for a proper exposure it will not make a good image.

An incident reading light meter is its own "gray card". No guessing as to the right exposure; and you don't need to worry about shifting histograms.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow