Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Myer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,660
Like?
550 ----> 60D or 7D or Not
May 14, 2013

Seven years ago I bought a Rebel 350 and was very happy and used it for 4 years. I then replaced it with a 550. I did that mostly because of the much better high ISO performance and the better screen. Video is / was of little interest to me.

I go on trips and at least one national park hiking trip a year. Life is good. Right?

Well, due to proximity (I live in south Floirda) I've been trying to develop an appreciation for birds (I prefer bears, etc but . . .) (several wetland parks within an hour). This is now extending to birds in flight.

My lenses are a 15-85 for travel / scenery, etc and I have a new 70-300L which I find sharp and has pretty good reach.

When I try to shoot birds in flight I seldom get a sharp shot even at 1/1250 sec. The believe camera / lens combination just doesn't focus fast enough or good enough (maybe it's me).

I'm about a year away from moving on in camera models if there's something that will do better in my interests than my 550.

Will a 60D or 7D (I realize there's a price difference but I'll manage that) give me more frames per second and more importantly will either give me faster / better focusing.

Another option is to stay on my current path and just give up on BiF. But I don't normally think that way.

One of my concerns with moving up is the additional weight I'd be carrying around. I'm getting older and not as steady as I used to be.

Any comments that might help will be greatly appreciated.

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow