Windows 8 shocker

Started May 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,484
Like?
Re: Mepis Beta 1 published yesterday
In reply to CAcreeks, May 14, 2013

CAcreeks wrote:

Thanks Jim, I will check it out when I have some spare time (might not be until a later Beta).

That may be a good idea (wait until a later beta), depending on your patience level and understanding on linux internals to compensate for any bugs in an earlier beta.

Again, this is the first Mepis beta based on Debian 7.0/Wheezy (just released on May 4th), and the first Mepis beta is going to be a bit buggy, since there is a lot of things in Mepis that are not pure Debian (installers, extra repositories for other software outside of Debian, extra utilities for user management, system management,  and more).

For example, the Mepis installer is a custom installer and I'm hearing that the first beta release has problems if you try to create a separate home partition (so you'll need to use a home folder in the same partition you install it to), and has some sources related issues related to the gpg keys for some repos not being setup by default, etc.

Typically, you'll see multiple betas followed by multiple release candidates before a new Mepis release goes to final status.   That's a once every 2 year type process (since Debian only releases a new stable release approx. every 2 years; unlike some of the other distros around with much shorter release cycles; and Mepis follows Debian Stable).

So, you'll usually see a number of issues with an early Mepis beta based on a brand new Debian version.

I have several SUSE 11 or 12 systems, can't remember which, but have not examined the UI closely to see if it is KDE Plasma.

You can download a KDE specific .iso for OpenSUSE 12.3.   The developers of OpenSUSE are one of the biggest contributors to KDE, and newer OpenSUSE releases using KDE tend to be a bit more "polished" than many other distros.

But, on the downside (similar to using a "vanilla" Debian install), you have to do some work yourself to get things like extra repos enabled for any proprietary software and drivers.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow