Olympus OM-D E-M5 Vs. Sony NEX-6 (or other APS-C mirrorless)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pierrrrrrre
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Vs. Sony NEX-6 (or other APS-C mirrorless)
11 months ago

Hi everyone!

After using a DSLR for more than 5 years (and loving the optical viewfinder), I want to switch to a smaller camera, because I realized I was missing a lot of opportunities of shooting, simply because I was leaving my camera at home most of the time...

So, after reading a lot about these systems, and trying out the OM-D and the NEX-6 a few days ago, I would like to ask for your opinion about it.

First, my current point of view on both cameras:

Olympus OM-D
+ Excellent image quality, even in Jpeg
+ Stabilisation (5 axes !) included in the camera body
+ Good quantity of Four Third lenses (Panasonic, Olympus, Sigma...)
+ Very nice retro design
+ Heavy customization possible (looks like you can customize almost all the buttons!)
- Four Third sensor = smaller than an APS-C = less light = issues in low light (?)
- Body is a bit too small, and buttons as well...
- The kit lens (12-50mm) looks quite big compared to the 16-50 of the Sony NEX-6
Sony NEX-6
+ APS-C sensor, therefore better image quality than a Four Third sensor (?)
+ With its kit lens (16-50mm), it's really small and light!
+ The elecontric viewfinder resolution is pretty amazing
+ Hybrid AF system: The best of both Worlds?
+ WiFi included, can be useful
- The picture quality doesn't look that amazing for a camera "with a Reflex sensor"
- No body stabilisation

I used the very useful DPReview comparison widget to check the quality of both cameras in same situation, and I am very impressed by the image quality of the Olympus OM-D; Although it has a smaller sensor, it seems more capable in terms of sharpness, contrast (in Jpeg) and overall details, even in high ISO.

In comparison, the Sony NEX-6 Jpeg pictures look too smooth.

I plan to shoot street views, especially at night or in low light conditions, and I always thought my previous camera, a DSLR (Nikon D7000 with the 24mm f2.8D), delivered images that lacked sharpness.

Did you try both of them? What did you like/not like in them? What would you recommend, and why, or would you recommend another one, and why?

Thanks for your feedback!

P.S.: Should I also post this in the Sony NEX section of this forum?

Nikon D7000 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow