D7100 @ the City (SB-700)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
MTWewerka
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Re: This is why...
In reply to nfpotter, 11 months ago

nfpotter wrote:

I almost stop coming here, over and over.

WHAT A BUNCH OF CRYING, HYPOCRITICAL, FAKE "PC", WEAK-SAUCE NAMBY PAMBIES.

A: if you go out in public in ANY urban environment these days you ARE VERY, VERY likely being photographed - and more than likely by "big brother".  Get used to the idea, it's not going to lessen.

B: if you don't like the way something looks, then look away.  Quit making yourself in need of a babysitter.

C: if you think that you're an "expert", be prepared to back that up with solid evidence.  This as a general statement to all of those who come here.  Just because your grandma said your point and shoot pictures make you a "great photographer" doesn't mean you are, no does stating one of your shots "is/could have been a brilliant, vibrant composition" make it so.  That judgment will be made by others, not you.

D: if you're going to give advice, you should be sure it is correct, and you can back it up.

E: this is an INTERNET FORUM, and even with "rules", you're going to have all kinds of different people, different likes and dislikes, and different opinions on here.  I, for one, find it RIDICULOUS that "swearing" is "banned", but nowhere is there a list of acceptable vs. unacceptable words - perfect example.

Now quit crying and go take pictures.  Seriously.

PS - to the OP, some are nice shots, some are boring (to me).

I'm only going to respond to this post, once, then I'm done.

Potter, there is a reason companies like Google—who provide a "street view" free to the world—have to blur people's faces. Despite the fact that those people are "in public" it does not give Google the "right" to use their likeness without permission. It would be nearly impossible to get permission of all the people on the street. As such, Google is forced to blur their faces.

The same logic goes for photography. Just because you take a picture at the beach does not give you the right to use that image as you see fit. I was previously married to a "PRO" photographer and we lived in Sarasota, FL (home of the #1 beach in the US), when she left the house for the beach, she needed to bring around 50 release forms, if not mroe. If she took a picture of someone she didn't know, she HAD to have their permission—in some cases, she had to ask first—because their photo was going to be used for semi- or professional use. If she just took a picture and kept it on her hard drive for "memories" it wouldn't be an issue. But the moment you decide to post an image on the internet, sell it for profit, or use it for promotional purposes, you have to have EVERY SINGLE PERSON'S signature giving you permission.

Now, when a photographer, who hasn't gotten permission, takes a picture of someone's private areas (butt, chest--male or female) —regardless if they are in public—without their permission and they are the sole target of the shot and said image is posted to the internet or used for reasons mentioned above, they are violating the rights of that person and better hope that, that person does not find the image on the internet or they would become liable to legalities.

Say what you want, I've dealt with this with my ex-wife and I know the rules/laws better than some, hence why I stick to animals, landscapes and flowers. I don't want to get into messy situations. If I do take a shot with a person, it either remains private or I "chopped" them out of it.

I'm done.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Mike Wewerka
mwewerka.tumblr.com

MTWewerka's gear list:MTWewerka's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
#14New
manyNew
why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow