OM-D E-M5 vs E-5 (build quality)

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
philosomatographer
Regular MemberPosts: 486Gear list
Like?
Re: Yeah, that was an overboard fan quote if I ever saw one :)
In reply to Just Having Fun, May 14, 2013
OK, yeah, it's fun to think the E-5 has more detail and such, but silly sites like Dxo and DPR have to go and ruin everything!

It's fun to think that armchair reading of photography websites - instead of producing actual prints - is an important measure of reality, but then expert printers have to go and ruin everything

I have my prints made by one of the most respected labs in Johannesburg - and indeed the only one that can also still process my large-format slides (4x5 E6). For fun, I had them make 1.1m prints of these two images, jut to see what the four thirds system can do.

They were most impressed with the output, and almost refused to believe that these were produced by such a small and ageing sensor. You see, in a print this size, what matters as much is the abilities of the lens (and very careful processing to get the most out of that 12MP resolution - which is enough for most large prints).

I am the only customer of theirs that uses Olympus gear (it's mostly Nikon/Canon, and then the larger formats). You may dismiss this, but the printer claims that the contrast of the finest details, and the resolution across the image, is truly exceptional for a consumer-grade camera (meaning anything less than medium- or large format). He's never seen better from a DSLR (keeping the 12MP resolution in mind.

There is so much more to an image than the DxoMark of the sensor. The fact that you choose to not believe this possibility, but to post another off-topic flamebait comparison (as you so choose to do with many of my threads) instead of just letting it go is a little bit sad.

Oh well - you go and nurse your "hurt ego", I will enjoy my large prints, thank you...

philosomatographer's gear list:philosomatographer's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Hmm.New
Yup!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow