ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TeXeR
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Should I get the OM-D now?
11 months ago

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum. After shooting for many years with a P&S, I decided to upgrade to a more serious camera. I first looked at DSLRs of course, which in my head were synonymous with "serious cameras". However I quickly discovered the world of micro4/3, which is definitely appealing to me (I have to travel pretty much every month by plane).

After several weeks of reading reviews/forums and trying various cameras in several different stores, the camera I prefer (by far) at this point is the Olympus OM-D. However, I have essentially two problems with buying this camera. Firstly, it is very costly compared to the budget I had given myself at the beginning of my search. Secondly, it is a year-old model, which according to various rumors might be upgraded soon. Each one of these "problems" would not be an issue on its own, but it's the combined effect of the two that makes me hesitant.

Of course I do not plan to replace my camera every other year (or more frequently), and my personal experience with other tech products tells me it is better to buy them early in the production cycle to maximize longevity. However, I do not have much experience with cameras, which I hope are intrinsically more durable (especially high-end models) than phones, tablets and the like; however, I think it is definitely best to ask for your opinion since you likely have infinitely more experience with these things than I do.

So what do you think? Does it make sense to buy the OM-D now at almost full price (I can't seem to find it below 1099 € with kit lens) or will I likely feel stupid and sorry only a few months from now when the new model is introduced?

Thanks a lot!

Marco

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow